THE STORY OF BRUCE ELY

THE STORY OF BRUCE ELY

Lead photographer for the Portland Trail Blazers

 

 “I miss being with the team. I can close my eyes and see the route I would take to practice every day.” 

- Wesley Matthews


Bruce Ely

Lead Photographer at Portland Trail Blazers


I chose Bruce Ely as my Photographer of the week because of the Trail Blazers I have been a fan since I was seven. I wanted to learn more about what it is like to be the man behind the camera for the Blazers. 

Bruce Ely is a compassionate person he is a well rounded photographer. He has won several awards. In the photo I picked for this post I was impressed that Ely was there with Wesley Matthews taking this shot of him while the Blazers were playing. This photo of Wesley showed a side of an injured player that desires to play, he was a starter. I like how Ely showed that Wesley was watching the TV and the colors in the photo make you feel sad and gloomy. 

Ely has over 20 years experience and has covered events like the Winter Olympics. Before being with the Trailblazer's he owned his business. Some of his clients were ESPN, Nike, and the New York Times. Ely was also a Photojournalist at the Oregonian. Ely graduated with his bachelors from the University of Montana. 

Ely doesn't just take action shots he takes a wide rage of photos. Not just when the Blazers are playing but the other things they do. I really like the way he edits his portraits of the players. He get's facial expressions that are not just tough. Ely also get's good focus on tattoos or other things that are unique or important to them. Ely tells the stories about the Blazers through photos of the Blazers doing things like volunteering with kids in a hospital. He get's photos of them having a closeness with the kids. In these photos it doesn't look forced. 

The way Ely tells the story of the Blazers helps show that they are good players who are regular people. Being a fan of the Blazers I like seeing the pictures because it shows me that the people I am cheering for are someone I would want my kids to look up to.  This makes me appreciate the behind the scenes that a photographer has. 




Works Cited

Bruce Ely Photography, http://www.bruceely.com/. Accessed 30 November 2023.

“\/.” YouTube, 16 June 2023, https://twitter.com/i/flow/login?redirect_after_login=%2Fbruceely. Accessed 30 November 2023.

“Bruce Ely - Staff Photographer And Assignment Editor at Portland Trail Blazers.” The Org, https://theorg.com/org/portland-trail-blazers/org-chart/bruce-ely. Accessed 30 November 2023.

Ely, Bruce. “Bruce Ely - Staff Photographer and assignment editor - Portland Trail Blazers.” LinkedIn, https://www.linkedin.com/in/bruce-ely-8151818. Accessed 30 November 2023.

QUICK, JASON, and BRUCE ELY. “Wesley Matthews: The Rebuilding of Iron Man | OregonLive.com.” Oregon Live, 3 April 2015, https://www.oregonlive.com/projects/ironman/partone.html. Accessed 30 November 2023.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 1st post

Ma's Dairy Farm

Clubs at LBCC Reflect Interests of Students Beyond the Classroom